Woolworth's Commercial Road, Portsmouth
The planned frontage for a store in Commercial Road, Portsmouth, to replace the Woolworth's destroyed by enemy action during World War II, as drawn by Harold Winbourne, the Company Architect in 1948
When the store first opened in 1950, building work on the upper floors and rear of the salesfloor was still continuing. The work completed on schedule in 1953.
In 2004 Woolworths and Littlewoods stores stood side by side in Commercial Road, Portsmouth. Both later became brands of the respected on-line retailer Shop Direct Group, which has morphed into Very Group Ltd. Littlewoods survives as a website, while Woolworths is currently 'retired'.
Shortcuts to related content